I am helping some folks finish a restoration of this classic Shasta. I'll be installing a propane system for the stove, a 12 volt system for lights and for the roof vent fan. I'll be installing, all new clearance lights, a sway bar system and a few other things along the way. Unfortunately this project is getting started a few days late thanks to our snow storm.
Date(s): January 27, 2010. Album by Dan Hellier. Photos by Dan. 1 - 107 of 107 Total. 5266 Visits.
6 Jan. 4th, moved the trailer to where it will be out of the rain. Didn't want to put it here during the snow storm. I was afraid it might collapse.
7 Screen door was too far gone to fix in place, I removed it so it can be repaired.
10 This cross member is broken, hence the play in the door beyond the fact that the hinges were loose.
11 The former battery bracket. It is in the space I need for the propane tanks.
16 Brand new 75 ampere hour marine type battery. With all the planned 12 volt items I anticipate a total amperage draw of no more than 10 amps. That would mean if you left everything on non stop, you would kill the battery in 7.5 hours. Intermittent use of lights, fan, etc should yield at least 3 days of camping before a charge is needed.
18 New propane regulator.
19 Here the regulator ties into the brand new copper line which runs to the stove.
21 There's the other end of the new line, where it feeds the stove.
22 February 5. Taking out the old lamps and replacing with new. They are original, but un-fortunately they are brittle and get hot,this customer does not want this with having a small child.
27 Adding a second circuit. I forgot to take a picture of the circuit breaker box, but this is it's own circuit.
29 The finished product, wired and operational. The plugs are a tamper resistant type designed to help prevent children from getting shocked.
30 Waa Lah
32 February 6. Starting the install of the 12 volt system. Here is the fuse block.
33 Main wires coming in from the battery.
35 I covered this junction box which didn't have a cover on it.
36 Main power coming into the fuse block.
37 12 volt light for the living / sleeping area.
38 12 volt kitchen light.
40 Running some of the main wire.
41 In order to make art, I had to first make a mess.
43 12 volt utility light.
47 Original roof vent removed.
48 Here you can see an area where the roof coating is peeling back. Also in the foreground you can see little pot marks throughout the roof coating.
49 Here's a better picture of all the holes in the sealant. This should be re-coated in the spring.
50 Looking towards the rear of the trailer you can see a large portion of metal that doesn't even have any sealant left on it.
52 When I took the new roof vent out of the box, I was dismayed to see cracks in the lid.
53 All 4 circuits including the roof fan are in.
54 Here you can barely see the wiring that runs through the track on the ceiling to the roof vent area.
55 The forward clearance lights which will be replaced.
56 After installing a good ground to the skin, here you see the only 2 lights out of 16 exterior lights that work.
57 This light had no voltage coming to it, found a broken wire and spliced just inside the skin.
58 All new clearance lights. They will have to be sealed on a day warmer than today !
60 All new rear clearance lights. They too are needing to be sealed.
62 Both tail cleanance lights, brake lights, and turn signals working.
63 Triple 12 volt outlet, and single USB charge port tied into the 12 volt sytem. I left a long cord on it, so it can be moved around as necessary, as in the next picture.
65 February 7. My hired help "Nala" helping me with the screen door.
67 Here you can see the repaired bar where the srew heads are. Too bad Nala's head is missing.
69 A closer view of the repair.
70 New screen in upper half of door.
72 New screen in lower half as well.
73 The end product.
75 Had to move the Shasta out temporarily to get this one in behind it.
76 Here both the tail lights are cracked and the one is missing a piece. I'll be trying to re-build it.
81 New Oak board to fill hole behind stove.
97 Feb. 13th. Finishing up, put new ceiling vent / fan in. Sealed all the lights that were only temp installed earlier, and installed the screen door, though I neglected to take a picture of it.
107 End of project. Thanks for everyone's support. Dan