• Public Gallery  • Help  
• Join Now!  • Log In  • Feature Tour
 gladysclancy | Home > Tasmania > 
Tasmania #07
Continuing my Photographic Record of Tasmania with more pictures of Historic Richmond Bridge and Richmond township, Historic Maria Island National Park and the unusual Historic Spiky Bridge. Hope you enjoy the views.
Date(s): February 2006. Album by gladysclancy. Photos by Gladys. 1 - 105 of 105 Total. 14242 Visits.
Start Slideshow 
Enlarge photo 1
1
Tasmania #07 Collage

Enlarge photo 2
2
Historic Richmond Bridge
Richmond Bridge (1823). Originally named Bigge's Bridge, Richmond Bridge is Australia's oldest bridge still in use.

Enlarge photo 3
3
Historic Richmond Bridge
Richmond Bridge was built by convicts from sandstone quarried at Butchers Hill and hauled by hand carts to the bridge site. The cutwaters were added in 1884.

Enlarge photo 4
4
Coal River
Reflections on the Coal River at Richmond Bridge.

Enlarge photo 5
5
Richmond Bridge
Historic Richmond Bridge from further upstream.

Enlarge photo 6
6
Richmond Bridge
View through the Arch of Richmond Bridge.

Enlarge photo 7
7
Red Flowering Gum

Enlarge photo 8
8
Richmond Street Scene

Enlarge photo 9
9
Built in Sandstone

Enlarge photo 10
10
The Stables, Richmond

Enlarge photo 11
11
Iron Lace Verandah, Richmond

Enlarge photo 12
12
Richmond Town Hall
The Town Hall was built in 1908 from recycled stone from derelict and demolished buildings, including the Providence Mill and the Police Barracks. The Police Barracks were built in 1833 on a site roughly in the car park behind the Hall.

Enlarge photo 13
13
Colonial Cottages, Richmond

Enlarge photo 14
14
Historic Post Box

Enlarge photo 15
15
Colonial Cottages, Richmond

Enlarge photo 16
16
Outer area of Richmond

Enlarge photo 17
17
Richmond Hills

Enlarge photo 18
18
Farmlands

Enlarge photo 19
19
Distant Vineyards
Vineyards in the distance are covered with bird netting to protect the crops.

Enlarge photo 20
20
Farmlands from moving Bus
Netting covered vineyards on centre left and rose-hips along the fenceline.

Enlarge photo 21
21
The Eastern Tiers
The Eastern Tiers on the horizon beyond Tasmanian Farmlands.

Enlarge photo 22
22
Sheep on Hillside
The summer colours of Tasmania.

Enlarge photo 23
23
Thistle Infested
Taken from the moving bus, but I tried to capture the spread of introduced Thistles throughout the land.

Enlarge photo 24
24
Tree-lined Gully

Enlarge photo 25
25
Spring Beach
Spring Beach is located just south of Orford on Tasmania’s sunny East Coast about one hour’s drive North East of Hobart, and about one hour south of Swansea.

Enlarge photo 26
26
Spring Beach, Orford

Enlarge photo 27
27
Succulent on Beach

Enlarge photo 28
28
High and Dry on Spring Beach

Enlarge photo 29
29
Spring Beach, Orford

Enlarge photo 30
30
Left by the Tide

Enlarge photo 31
31
Gum Tree at Spring Beach Car Park

Enlarge photo 32
32
Prosser River
The delightful seaside town of Orford is situated on the Prosser River on Tasmania's East Coast. Established as a shore station to service the convict settlement on Maria Island in 1825, Orford is now a popular holiday resort.

Enlarge photo 33
33
Prosser River
Orford, Tasmania. A large weir separates the lower and upper section of the river. Below the weir the water is under tidal influence. Above the weir the stream is slow and during the summer recedes into pools. In recent years, this situation has been extreme. Trout to 1 kg can be caught with bait fishing being the preferred method.

Enlarge photo 34
34
Maria Island Ferry
Jetty at Eastcoaster Resort, Orford.

Enlarge photo 35
35
Maria Island Ferry
This is the Fast Ferry which takes 28 mins for the 7 nautical mile trip from Eastcoaster Resort to Maria Island.

Enlarge photo 36
36
View from Jetty
A Woodchip Factory is located opposite the Eastcoaster Resort.

Enlarge photo 37
37
Woodchip Pile
Zoomed in on the Pile of Woodchips.

Enlarge photo 38
38
Wooden Row Boat near Jetty

Enlarge photo 39
39
Maria Island
Maria Island is steeped in history. This wild and rugged island which is over 20 km long and 13 km wide is characterised by sheer cliffs tumbling into the sea, jagged rocky outcrops (Mount Maria rises to 710 m and The Bishop and Clerk reaches 915 m), extensive fossil deposits and interesting ruins of the nineteenth century penal settlement.

Enlarge photo 40
40
Darlington Settlement
Remaining buildings of the Darlington Settlement near the jetty on Maria Island include the Cement Silos, Clinker Storage and Commissariat Store which is now used as a Visitor Information Centre.

Enlarge photo 41
41
Cement Silos
Portland Cement produced 500 tonnes of Cement each week and it was held in the hoppers of the Cement Silos until being placed in jute bags for shipment. At the height of operations Maria Island population numbered about 500 people.

Enlarge photo 42
42
The Cement Works
The National Portland Cement Works opened on 8 February 1924 after the construction of a 640 ft (195 m) pier and the installation of the machinery giving employment to over 150 men on Maria Island. After heavy financial losses, the company was taken over in 1930 and most of the plant and machinery reinstalled in Port Fairy, Victoria.

Enlarge photo 43
43
Clinker Storage
Clinker Storage on Maria Island. Clinker was held here until the final grinding process in the Cement Mill.

Enlarge photo 44
44
Commissariat Store
In 1825 a penal colony (the second to be established in Van Diemen's Land)was established on Maria Island by Governor George Arthur to ease the ever-increasing pressure on Hobart Town. Arthur sent 50 convicts, accompanied by a superintendent and a small party of soldiers, to the island. Although their stay was relatively short (the colony closed in 1832 after the larger prison at Port Arthur was established) they built a number of buildings of which only the Commissariat Store and the prisoner's barracks, known as the Penitentiary, still stand. Located at Darlington these historic buildings were built of local stones and bricks.

Enlarge photo 45
45
Penitentiary
Prisoner's Barracks and Penitentiary on Maria Island. These buildings now provide basic accommodation for campers. Each cabin contains bunks with mattresses and a wooden stove for heating, but no electricity or hot water.

Enlarge photo 46
46
Tasmanian Native Hen
Tasmanian Native Hen (Gallinula mortierii) is a distant relative of the domestic hen. It is found only in Tasmania, being distributed throughout the state except for the west and southwest.

Enlarge photo 47
47
Cape Barren Geese
Cape Barren Goose (Cereopsis novaehollandiae). The Cape Barren goose is a handsome bird about the same size as a domestic goose. Its plumage is pale grey, with black markings near the tips of its wing feathers and tail. It has pink legs and black feet. Its most striking feature is the bright greenish yellow cere on its short black bill.

Enlarge photo 48
48
View through Ruins on Maria Island

Enlarge photo 49
49
Ranger's Cottage
Belladonna Lilies outside one of the cottages used by Rangers on Maria Island.

Enlarge photo 50
50
Windswept Tree on Maria Island

Enlarge photo 51
51
Hilltop Farmhouse

Enlarge photo 52
52
BBQ Area
Ocean views towards the mainland from this BBQ Area for use of visitors to Maria Island.

Enlarge photo 53
53
Maria Island viewed from Ranger's Station

Enlarge photo 54
54
Historic Buildings of Maria Island

Enlarge photo 55
55
Cape Barren Geese
Cape Barren Geese live mostly on small, windswept and generally uninhabited offshore islands, but venture to adjacent mainland farming areas in search of food in summer. Their ability to drink salt or brackish water allows numbers of geese to remain on offshore islands all year round.

Enlarge photo 56
56
Eye to Eye with a Cape Barren Goose

Enlarge photo 57
57
Cape Barren Geese
These geese are grazing birds, and eat predominantly the common island tussock Poa poiformis as well as spear grass and various herbs and succulents they also eat pasture grasses including barley grass and clover. Geese lay eggs in nests in the tussocks found in the open grassland areas in which they live. Each pair of geese establishes a territory in autumn, prepares a nest site and defends it noisily and determinedly against other geese. About five eggs are laid and the eggs take about a month to hatch. The goslings develop rapidly during the winter, and by the end of spring are able to fly. At this time they join the flocks of non-breeding geese which have also spent the winter on the breeding island.

Enlarge photo 58
58
Terraced Cottages
These Terraced Cottages on Maria Island were erected c1887 by Diego Bernacchi with bricks from the large convict Separate Apartments built in 1842 with additions c1846.

Enlarge photo 59
59
Flowering Eucalyptus Trees found on Maria Island.

Enlarge photo 60
60
Cottage on Maria Island

Enlarge photo 61
61
Tall Eucalypt Trees

Enlarge photo 62
62
Burnt-out Ruins
The Fireplace and Chimney stand proud and tall after fire on Maria Island.

Enlarge photo 63
63
Vegetation
On 1 June 1971, Maria Island was declared a Wildlife Sanctuary under the control of the Animals and Birds Protection Board. The island was proclaimed a National Park on 14 June 1972 and is now managed by Tasmania's Parks and Wildlife Service.

Enlarge photo 64
64
Window View
View through the Window of Ruins on Maria Island.

Enlarge photo 65
65
Historic Walls of Ruins

Enlarge photo 66
66
Maria Island hillside through the window of Ruins

Enlarge photo 67
67
Old Fig Tree

Enlarge photo 68
68
Cape Barren Goose
In 1968, a small number of geese were introduced to Maria Island. Their numbers have increased steadily, and in 1995 there were over 100 birds established there. Since the formation of the Tasmanian National Parks and Wildlife Service in 1970, an ongoing priority has been the study and management of the Cape Barren goose population. The aim has been to keep the goose population at acceptably high levels while not allowing increasing numbers to create problems for farmers.

Enlarge photo 69
69
Bleached Whale Bones
A grim reminder of the early whaling days on Maria Island. The first European Settlers were whalers and sealers who lived a hard and temporary life on the island in the early nineteenth century. They viciously exploited the local Aborigines while plundering the local seal population.

Enlarge photo 70
70
Bernacchis Creek, Maria Island

Enlarge photo 71
71
Bernacchis Creek flows into Darlington Bay, Maria Island

Enlarge photo 72
72
Hill Climb
Clinker Storage and Cement Silos viewed from path to the cemetery on Maria Island.

Enlarge photo 73
73
Summer Landscape

Enlarge photo 74
74
Rusted Relic
A rusted relic overlooking Darlington Bay, Maria Island.

Enlarge photo 75
75
Tasmanian Native Hen
Tasmanian Native Hen trying to hide behind a Thistle. Although they cannot fly, they are good swimmers and very fast runners. When a native hen senses danger they often flick their tail to warn others and if chased will seek the shelter of grass or reeds. Using their short wings for balance, they are capable of running at 50 km per hour.

Enlarge photo 76
76
Maria Island Cemetery
Remains of Historic Graves in Maria Island Cemetery.

Enlarge photo 77
77
Ocean Views
This Historic Cemetery on a sloping hillside of Maria Island has ocean views.

Enlarge photo 78
78
Old Barn on Maria Island

Enlarge photo 79
79
Rafters of the Old Barn

Enlarge photo 80
80
Ancient Relics inside the Old Barn

Enlarge photo 81
81
Old Engine

Enlarge photo 82
82
More Relics

Enlarge photo 83
83
Reminders of a past era inside Old Barn

Enlarge photo 84
84
Darlington Bay
Looking towards the mainland from Darlington Bay, Maria Island.

Enlarge photo 85
85
Maria Island Jetty

Enlarge photo 86
86
Maria Island Jetty

Enlarge photo 87
87
Waterfront Restaurant
Back on the Mainland at Orford with the Maria Island Ferry and the Waterfront Restaurant of the Eastcoaster Resort in view.

Enlarge photo 88
88
Ocean View
From Eastcoaster Resort, Orford.

Enlarge photo 89
89
Framed by Trees
Near Eastcoaster Resort, Orford.

Enlarge photo 90
90
Small Crab on the Beach

Enlarge photo 91
91
Left by the Tide

Enlarge photo 92
92
On the Beach

Enlarge photo 93
93
Seagull at Waters Edge

Enlarge photo 94
94
Awesome Sunrise
See album 'Tasmanian Sunrise' for full sequence of sunrise photos.

Enlarge photo 95
95
Farewell to Orford

Enlarge photo 96
96
Roadside Pool

Enlarge photo 97
97
Information about Spiky Bridge

Enlarge photo 98
98
Spiky Bridge
Located 7.5 km south of Swansea, Spiky Bridge is a convict bridge which was built in 1843. It was constructed from fieldstones which were laid without mortar or cement. The parapet features fieldstones laid vertically which gives the bridge a spiky appearance. It has been claimed that the spikes were designed to prevent cattle falling over the sides.

Enlarge photo 99
99
Spiky Bridge
Spiky Bridge was built by convict labour in 1843.

Enlarge photo 100
100
Spiky Bridge
View through Spiky Bridge to someone at the other end of tunnel.

Enlarge photo 101
101
Spiky Bridge
Loose laid stone walls of Spiky Bridge with the Spikes against the skyline.

Enlarge photo 102
102
Spiky Bridge
The parapet features fieldstones laid vertically which gives the bridge a spiky appearance. It has been claimed that the spikes were designed to prevent cattle falling over the sides.

Enlarge photo 103
103
Near Spiky Bridge

Enlarge photo 104
104
Colourful Rosehips on fence

Enlarge photo 105
105
Dramatic Clouds
Dramatic Clouds as we left Spiky Bridge to continue the trip to Freycinet National Park.

   
 
Album Properties. Email Album. Send Invitation. Share URL