• Public Gallery  • Help  
• Join Now!  • Log In  • Feature Tour
 gladysclancy | Home > Tasmania > 
Tasmania #05
View the Tessellated Pavement, Tasman Arch, Devil's Kitchen before exploring Historic Port Arthur on the Tasman Peninsula, then views of Hobart, Russell Falls in Mt Field National Park and on to the Sentinel Range.
Date(s): February 2006. Album by gladysclancy. Photos by Gladys. 1 - 105 of 105 Total. 2641 Visits.
Start Slideshow 
Enlarge photo 1
1
Tasmania #5 Collage

Enlarge photo 2
2
Tessellated Pavement
The Tessellated Pavement in the Tasman National Park is an unusual geological formation, which gives the rocks the effect of being rather neatly tiled.

Enlarge photo 3
3
Tessellated Pavement
The pavement appears tessellated (it's tiled) because the rocks forming it were fractured by earth movements.

Enlarge photo 4
4
Tessellated Pavement
The flatness of the pavement is due to initial erosion by waves carrying sand and gravel and nearer to the cliff, to chemical action by sea water.

Enlarge photo 5
5
Pittosporum bicolor
Pittosporum means Pitch Fruit referring to the bitter-tasting sticky seeds which may be seen after the capsule opens.

Enlarge photo 6
6
Pirates Bay
The Tessellated Pavement area of Pirates Bay.

Enlarge photo 7
7
Tall Eucalypts at the car park

Enlarge photo 8
8
Towering Trees

Enlarge photo 9
9
Pirates Bay

Enlarge photo 10
10
Martin Cash Memorial
Memorial to mark the Centenary of the Death of Martin Cash. He was known as a Gentleman Bushranger because he never used Violence. He received a Pardon and died a Free Man on 27 Aug 1877.

Enlarge photo 11
11
Tasman Arch

Enlarge photo 12
12
Eucalypt Buds

Enlarge photo 13
13
Eucalypt Bark

Enlarge photo 14
14
Tasman Sea
Rugged Coast joining the Tasman Sea on east coast of Tasmania.

Enlarge photo 15
15
Devil's Kitchen 60 m deep

Enlarge photo 16
16
Looking down into Devil's Kitchen

Enlarge photo 17
17
Port Arthur
Panorama of the Historic Site of Port Arthur on the Tasman Peninsula.

Enlarge photo 18
18
Early 1860's
View of Settlement Hill across Mason Cove, early 1860s. The large building in the foreground is the Penitentiary, with the Commissariat Stores on the waterfront to the left. Visible at the top left of the photograph is the semaphore.

Enlarge photo 19
19
Ferry Terminal
Departure point for Harbour Cruises to Point Puer and Isle of the Dead.

Enlarge photo 20
20
Port Arthur Cruises

Enlarge photo 21
21
Port Arthur viewed from Ferry

Enlarge photo 22
22
Dockyards
Between 1834 and 1848 Port Arthur was home to an industrious shipbuilding enterprise that saw 15 large timber vessels, and over 140 smaller boats, built at the dockyard.

Enlarge photo 23
23
Australian Red Ensign
The Australian Red Ensign - Merchant Navy, as for the Australian flag, but with a red field with white stars. Proclaimed in the Flags Act 1953. Covers Australian registered ships under section 30 of the Shipping Registration Act 1981.

Enlarge photo 24
24
Dockyards viewed from Ferry
Clerk of Works House on Left, and Shipwrights House on Right, with Lime Kiln in foreground.

Enlarge photo 25
25
Jetty at Point Puer
3,000 boys ranging in age from 9 to 18 passed through Point Puer Boys' Prison from 1834-49. It was the first reformatory built exclusively for juvenile male convicts in the British Empire and was renowned for its regime of stern discipline and harsh punishment.

Enlarge photo 26
26
Isle of the Dead
The Isle of the Dead is a small island located in the harbour adjacent to the Port Arthur Historic Site. Originally called Opossum Island, it was selected as a burial place by the Reverend John Manton in 1833.

Enlarge photo 27
27
Isle of the Dead
Between 1833 and 1877, about one thousand burials took place on the island. The majority were convicts and ex-convict paupers who were buried mostly in unmarked graves on the lower part of the island. The graves of free people were located on the high side of the island and were sometimes marked by elaborate headstones cut by the convict stonemasons.

Enlarge photo 28
28
Port Arthur viewed from returning Ferry

Enlarge photo 29
29
Fishing Boat at anchor in Mason Cove

Enlarge photo 30
30
Port Arthur from Jetty

Enlarge photo 31
31
Tasmanian Blue Gums
An avenue of Tasmanian Blue Gums (Eucalyptus globulus) line the road to the Dockyards at Port Arthur.

Enlarge photo 32
32
Lime Kiln

Enlarge photo 33
33
Lime Kiln
Historic Lime Kiln built in the Dockyard area of Port Arthur in 1854.

Enlarge photo 34
34
Belladonna Lilies at the Dockyards

Enlarge photo 35
35
Eucalyptus globulus
Tasmanian Blue Gum timber quickly established a reputation with early settlers for its toughness and durability. Its timber is stronger and denser than other similar types of gum tree and is suitable for ship building and similar uses.

Enlarge photo 36
36
Younger Blue Gums
Near Port Arthur Dockyards.

Enlarge photo 37
37
Young Tree
Young Tasmanian Blue Gum shows a mix of blue juvenile leaves on lower half and mature green leaves on upper half.

Enlarge photo 38
38
Government Gardens
A distinct precinct of the Port Arthur Historic Site, containing a historically comprised landscape and built features, plant materials and other elements of high significance. The gardens were originally established in the late 1830's as an outdoor leisure space for the civil and military officials at Port Arthur, and survived until well after the closure of the settlement in 1877.

Enlarge photo 39
39
Government Gardens
The elements of Government Gardens display deliberate design and arrangements reflecting the order and hierarchy of the military and convict occupation of the Historic Site. The Government Cottage Gardens, as well as the Commandant's Garden, are the only two formal gardens within the present Historic Site dating from the convict period reflecting various aspects of civic life.

Enlarge photo 40
40
Oyster Plant
The Government Gardens were reconstructed in accordance with an 1858 survey. Extensive research of historic photographs, palynological soil analysis and archaeological investigations were used to establish the planting species, the type and location of paths, fences and other landscape features originally extant within the precinct. The central pathway, fountain and plantings from the original 1840s were retained.

Enlarge photo 41
41
Himalayan Honeysuckle
Government Gardens, Port Arthur.

Enlarge photo 42
42
Ginger Lily (Hedychium gardnerianum)
Government Gardens, Port Arthur.

Enlarge photo 43
43
Colourful in Orange
Government Gardens, Port Arthur.

Enlarge photo 44
44
Asylum
By the early 1860's a large numberof men who were in need of care shuttled between the Pauper's Depot, the Hospital and the Lunatic Asylum, depending on their state of mental health. Most of the men in the Lunatic Asylum would today be diagnosed with depression, dementia or mental disability. This Ideal Asylum was designed to cure the Lunatics in a calm, clean environment with kindness, exercise and amusement, religious consolation and work to soothe the mind.

Enlarge photo 45
45
Pauper's Mess, Asylum, Separate Prison

Enlarge photo 46
46
Hospital
The Hospital built in 1841-42 was the third constructed at Port Arthur. Placed on top of Settlement Hill, above the prisoners' barracks, the hospital was made up of wards, kitchen, baking room, laundry and morgue. As the convicts of Port Arthur worked in heavy industries such as timber-getting, accident victims at the hospital were common. The hospital was staffed by a doctor and a number of untrained convict orderlies. In the 1890s, the hospital building was sold to the Catholic Church, but was unfortunatley burnt in the 1895 and 1897 fires.

Enlarge photo 47
47
Guard Tower
Upper level of the Guard Tower which was built on high ground overlooking the settlement at Port Arthur.

Enlarge photo 48
48
Inside Guard Tower

Enlarge photo 49
49
Mason Cove
View over Mason Cove from the upper level of the Guard Tower, Port Arthur.

Enlarge photo 50
50
Penitentiary from Guard Tower at Port Arthur

Enlarge photo 51
51
Old School House, Port Arthur

Enlarge photo 52
52
Officer's Quarters

Enlarge photo 53
53
Decorative Arch with Officer's Quarters beyond

Enlarge photo 54
54
Corner of Compound Wall
Military area of Port Arthur.

Enlarge photo 55
55
Compound Wall
Military area of Port Arthur.

Enlarge photo 56
56
Guard Tower
The Guard Tower contained a storeroom for guns and ammunition, a guard room and a watch tower. After the settlement closed, most of the military complex was demolished. The 1897 bushfires destroyed much of waht remained.

Enlarge photo 57
57
Commandant's House
The most senior official at Port Arthur was the Commandant. Located on the fringe of settlement, the Commandant's House enjoyed a commanding prospect over the rest of the settlement. The house began life in 1833 as a simple wooden cottage, to become a many-roomed complex fringed by ornate gardens and pathways. High masonry walls divided the residence from the rest of settlement. After the close of the convict period in 1877, the building became the Carnarvon Hotel in 1885 and later a guest house which operated until the 1930's.

Enlarge photo 58
58
Interior of the Commandant's House

Enlarge photo 59
59
Penitentiary
The former flourmill and granary was converted into the Penitentiary. This mill had been completed in 1845 to try to supply all the settlement's flour. It was powered by both a water wheel and a convict-driven treadmill.

Enlarge photo 60
60
Penitentiary
The Penitentiary was gutted by fires in 1897 but symbolises the machine of reform at work, containing within itself both the machinery of punishment and of self-improvement.

Enlarge photo 61
61
Penitentiary

Enlarge photo 62
62
Policeman's Residence
The Policeman's Residence was a later addition to Port Arthur.

Enlarge photo 63
63
Church
The Church and the Commandant's House stand on the highest ground at either end of the site, expressing the absolute authority of God and the State, and their earthly representatives the Parson and the Commandant.

Enlarge photo 64
64
Inside Church
Religion was most energetically engaged in the process of reform. Everyone had to attend church. Each Sunday up to 1100 people worshipped here. The Convicts were marched to Church by armed guards and sat in the body of the building, while the free people sat on raised wooden pews to the left and right behind a curtain. A choir of well-behaved convicts sang hymns.

Enlarge photo 65
65
Church
Constructed in 1836-37, Port Arthur's church is a tribute to its convict builders. Built of timber and stone, the church overlooked the convict settlement from the high ground to the west and could accommodate a prison population of over one thousand souls. Never consecrated due to its usage by a number of different denominations, the church was representative of the authorities goals to reform through religion. Standing throughout the convict period, the church was destroyed in an 1884 fire and has since seen many conservation works throughout the 20th century.

Enlarge photo 66
66
Violent Crime
On Sunday 28 April 1996, the Port Arthur Historic Site was the site of a devastating violent crime. In this area, and at other locations nearby, a single gunman killed 35 people and injured dozens more. Staff from the Historic Site were among the victims. The man was captured next day. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to imprisonment for life with no eligibility for parole.

Enlarge photo 67
67
Memorial Garden
Many people still suffer as a result of the tragedy. It was agreed that a memorial garden, incorporating the shell of the Broad Arrow Cafe, would be established as a place of quiet beauty and calm contemplation.

Enlarge photo 68
68
Memorial Garden
View from Memorial Garden at Port Arthur. In this peaceful place, open to the wind, rain and sky, we may reflect on that tragedy, and remember its many victims.

Enlarge photo 69
69
Mt Nelson Signal Station
Historic Signal Station on Mt Nelson overlooking Hobart and the Derwent River.

Enlarge photo 70
70
State Flag of Tasmania
The State Flag of Tasmania flying on the historic Mt Nelson Signal Station.

Enlarge photo 71
71
View from Signal Station

Enlarge photo 72
72
View from Signal Station

Enlarge photo 73
73
Tasman Bridge
Hobart and Tasman Bridge viewed from Mt Nelson Signal Station.

Enlarge photo 74
74
Hobart
Hobart viewed from Mt Nelson Signal Station.

Enlarge photo 75
75
Hobart
Hobart viewed from Mt Nelson Signal Station.

Enlarge photo 76
76
Tasman Bridge
Tasman Bridge and Hobart viewed from Mt Nelson Signal Station.

Enlarge photo 77
77
Tasman Bridge
Tasman Bridge and Hobart viewed from Mt Nelson Signal Station.

Enlarge photo 78
78
Suburban Hobart
Suburbs of Hobart viewed from Mt Nelson Signal Station.

Enlarge photo 79
79
Outer Hobart
Outer areas of Hobart viewed from Mt Nelson Signal Station.

Enlarge photo 80
80
Towards Tasman Peninisula
Looking SE towards Tasman Peninsula from Mt Nelson Signal Station.

Enlarge photo 81
81
Towards Tasman Peninisula
Looking towards Tasman Peninsula from Mt Nelson Signal Station.

Enlarge photo 82
82
Eagle's Nest
Eagle's Nest high in Swamp Gum (Eucalyptus regnans) at Mt Field National Park.

Enlarge photo 83
83
Mt Field National Park
The natural beauty of Mt Field has been officially recognised for over one hundred years. Tasmania's first nature reserve was created around Russell Falls in 1885. The area set aside for protection and public enjoyment was then greatly extended with the formation of the Mt Field National Park in 1916.

Enlarge photo 84
84
Russell Falls in Mt Field National Park

Enlarge photo 85
85
Russell Falls in Mt Field National Park

Enlarge photo 86
86
Lush Tree Ferns
Beautiful Tree Ferns beside the magnificent Russell Falls at Mt Field National Park.

Enlarge photo 87
87
Russell Falls
Black washed rocks at the base of Russell Falls in Mt Field National Park.

Enlarge photo 88
88
Russell Falls
Lower level of Russell Falls at Mt Field National Park.

Enlarge photo 89
89
Tree Fern Walk
Mt Field National Park.

Enlarge photo 90
90
Tasmanian Pademelon
Pademelon in a cool dark spot in the Rainforest at Mt Field National Park.

Enlarge photo 91
91
Dogwood
Dogwood (Pomaderris apetala) in Mt Field National Park.

Enlarge photo 92
92
Swamp Gum
Russell Falls walk in Mt Field National Park.

Enlarge photo 93
93
Swamp Gum
Swamp Gum (Eucalyptus regnans) is the tallest flowering plant in the world. It can grow to 100 metres high. Known as Tasmanian Oak, it is used extensively for house construction and for making furniture.

Enlarge photo 94
94
Creepy-Crawly Walk
Moss covered trunk along the Creepy-Crawly Walk of the wet Myrtle Forest.

Enlarge photo 95
95
Orange Fungi
Brilliant Orange Fungi in the cool temperate rainforest of the Creepy-Crawly Walk.

Enlarge photo 96
96
Sunlit Trees
Trees on the Creepy-Crawly Walk.

Enlarge photo 97
97
Treetops
Trees on the Creepy-Crawly Walk.

Enlarge photo 98
98
Looking Skywards
Trees on the Creepy-Crawly Walk.

Enlarge photo 99
99
Horizontal Thicket
Horizontal (Anodopetalum biglandulosum) is known as the curse of bushwalkers in Tasmania's forests. Horizontal is only found in Tasmania and grows as an understorey species in wet eucalypt and farinforests. The tough springy wood has a fine even grain which polishes well. Horizontal has long been used for axe and broom handles, and is now popular as a craftwood.

Enlarge photo 100
100
Climbing Heath
Prionotes cerinthoides is a Tasmanian endemic alpine plant which is often found in shady rainforest.

Enlarge photo 101
101
Climbing Heath
Prionotes cerinthoides beside the Creepy-Crawly Walk.

Enlarge photo 102
102
Sentinel Range
Wedge River Picnic Area beneath the Sentinel Range.

Enlarge photo 103
103
Sentinel Range
Sentinel Range viewed from Wedge River Picnic Area.

Enlarge photo 104
104
Sentinel Range
Sentinel Range viewed through Arch of Picnic Shelter.

Enlarge photo 105
105
Picnic Area
Wedge River Picnic Area viewed through Arch of Shelter.

   
 
Album Properties. Email Album. Send Invitation. Share URL