Ok, 1st thing to do is remove the single screw behind this door handle trim. Released by pushing forward and pulling away...
This is the screw. A simple X point screw.
I started at one corner and pulled the trim away. Here you see 1 popper stayed put and the other came out properly!
Worked my way along the bottom. Being very careful due to the dubious Mitsubishi plastic quality!!!
All removed. Now just the filthy black sticky stuff to deal with. Be very careful not to get any where you don't want it!!!
With the plastic removed we are able to see what's going on...
A close up of the door release mech.
A close up of the electric door lock motor.
The door release again.
The rod I made. (But had to remove!!!)
Where I had fitted it!
I guess that hole is still there!!! I did fit a standard old release knob on this to make it look a little better...