• Public Gallery  • Help  
• Join Now!  • Log In  • Feature Tour
 Public Gallery | Home > gladysclancy > Travel and Vacation > 
Orientation

An orientation tour is a must for every visitor to Norfolk Island! Enjoy the scenic views of historic Kingston, see and hear about the famous convict buildings, beautiful beaches and golf course, visit the renowned Melanesian Chapel, the rugged Cascade Bay, and enjoy afternoon tea in the garden of an historic island home built by Fletcher Quintal - descendant of 'Bounty' mutineers Fletcher Christian & Matthew Quintal. Join this tour for a general overview of Norfolk Island, then the Kingston area will be covered in-depth in following albums.

Date(s): June 2008. Album by gladysclancy. Photos by Gladys. 1 - 76 of 76 Total. 12619 Visits.
Start Slideshow 
Enlarge photo 1
1
Orientation Tour
The first of many excellent tours with Pinetree Tours.

Enlarge photo 2
2
Norfolk Island School
Students are educated in accordance with the NSW Curriculum and the Teachers are appointed on a 3-year term from NSW. Norfolk Island is a popular posting for teachers.

Enlarge photo 3
3
Leaving the Burnt Pine Township

Enlarge photo 4
4
Cattle Grid
Most properties have a cattle grid at the entrance to prevent cattle passing through.

Enlarge photo 5
5
Green Hills and Valleys
Along Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 6
6
Ocean View from Rooty Hill Road

Enlarge photo 7
7
Cemetery and Golf Course
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 8
8
Cemetery on Emily Bay
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 9
9
Golf Course and Golf Club House
The Golf Club House was formerly the Stipendiary Magistrate's Quarters. Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 10
10
Nepean and Phillip Islands
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 11
11
Information and Map
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 12
12
Information and Map
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 13
13
Information and Map
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 14
14
Plaque
This plaque was unveiled by Her Majesty the Queen on the occasion of the Royal Visit to Norfolk Island in February 1974, the Bi-Centenary Year of the discovery of the island by Captain James Cook on 10 October 1774.

Enlarge photo 15
15
Historic Houses of Quality Row
The Quality Row houses comprise part of the most extensive remaining pre-1850 settlement street in Australia. Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 16
16
Historic Kingston
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 17
17
The Islands beyond the Golf Course
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 18
18
The Old Military Barracks
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 19
19
Old Military Barracks
The terraced effect on the hillside is created by grazing cattle. Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 20
20
Rooty Hill Road lined by Norfolk Pine Trees
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 21
21
Norfolk Island Pines complete the picture
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 22
22
Another view from the lookout
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 23
23
Yet another view of this pretty island
Overlooking Kingston, taken from Queen Elizabeth Lookout on Rooty Hill Road.

Enlarge photo 24
24
Old Military Barracks
A fine example of 1830's British military architecture. Designed by William Buchanan in 1826 as a two-storey building with verandahs to accommodate 100 men. Completed in 1834, the complex was surrounded by a high stone wall, rectangular in plan, with corner turrets.

Enlarge photo 25
25
Old Military Barracks
This historical building now serves as the chambers and offices of the Norfolk Island Legislative Assembly.

Enlarge photo 26
26
Coastal View
Taken through the window of the bus.

Enlarge photo 27
27
The Lush Green of the Golf Course

Enlarge photo 28
28
Rocky Outcrop on Reserve

Enlarge photo 29
29
Ocean View
From eastern end of Emily Bay.

Enlarge photo 30
30
View across Emily Bay

Enlarge photo 31
31
Across the water
Against the sun towards Kingston Pier.

Enlarge photo 32
32
Nepean Island
A limestone islet of about four hectares and 2 km south of Norfolk Island.

Enlarge photo 33
33
Nepean Island and Phillip Island
Phillip Island is an irregularly shaped rugged volcanic island more than 2 kms long and 7 km south of Norfolk Island.

Enlarge photo 34
34
Rugged Coastline of Volcanic Rock

Enlarge photo 35
35
Near Kingston Pier
Old Lighter near Boatshed, and Nepean Island on the horizon.

Enlarge photo 36
36
Kingston Pier on the south
Note small fishing boat about to be winched ashore.

Enlarge photo 37
37
Kingston Pier
Small fishing boat being lifted out of the water.  All cargo comes ashore in this manner.

Enlarge photo 38
38
Coastline west of Kingston Pier

Enlarge photo 39
39
Hillside cutting for access road to Cascade Pier

Enlarge photo 40
40
Cascade Pier on the north
As Norfolk has no harbour, ships stand about a kilometre off shore from Kingston or Cascade, according to where the swell is coming from, and lighters are sent out to pick up passengers or cargo.

Enlarge photo 41
41
Waves crash over Cascade Pier

Enlarge photo 42
42
Wet and Slippery at Cascade Pier

Enlarge photo 43
43
Afternoon Tea Time
A delightful setting in the spacious grounds of this historic Norfolk Island Home built by Fletcher Quintal, a descendant of 'Bounty' mutineers Fletcher Christian & Matthew Quintal.

Enlarge photo 44
44
Kentia Palm Trees tower above

Enlarge photo 45
45
Kentia Palms (Howea forsteriana )

Enlarge photo 46
46
Staghorn Fern growing on trunk of Kentia Palm

Enlarge photo 47
47
Staghorn Fern

Enlarge photo 48
48
Huge Avocado Tree

Enlarge photo 49
49
Kentia Palms (Howea forsteriana )

Enlarge photo 50
50
Kentia Palms

Enlarge photo 51
51
Cattle have 'right of way' on the roads

Enlarge photo 52
52
Cow crossing the road

Enlarge photo 53
53
Cattle graze on road verges
Owners pay a registration fee of $68 per head to allow the cattle the freedom to graze on road verges.

Enlarge photo 54
54
Cars have to 'give way' to Cattle
The grass is always greener on the other side!

Enlarge photo 55
55
St Barnabas Chapel
St Barnabas' Chapel, also known as the Melanesian Mission Chapel or the Patteson Memorial Chapel, is loved and valued by both residents of and visitors to Norfolk Island.

Enlarge photo 56
56
St Barnabas Chapel
St Barnabas' Chapel was originally built for the Melanesian Mission, whose school and headquarters were based on Norfolk Island between 1866 and 1920. Established as a memorial to John Patteson, who was ordained as Bishop of Melanesia in 1861, the building which has been used as a place of worship since 1880, has a fascinating history.

Enlarge photo 57
57
St Barnabas Chapel
St Barnabas' Chapel was designed by Sir Thomas Graham Jackson of London. The building work was carried out by the Mission workers and the Melanesian students, with assistance from the Norfolk Island community, who had settled on Norfolk Island from Pitcairn Island in 1856. The Chapel was consecrated on 7th December 1880.

Enlarge photo 58
58
St Barnabas Chapel
Built as a memorial to Bishop Patteson, the Chapel was dedicated in 1880.

Enlarge photo 59
59
Windows in the Apse
The windows in the Apse dipicting the four evangelists were given by the Dowager Lady Downe.

Enlarge photo 60
60
Stained Glass Windows and Roof Structure

Enlarge photo 61
61
The Sanctuary
The Organ was presented by Miss Charlotte Yonge, the tapestry hangings were sent by Mrs Goodenough, and Bishop John Selwyn gave the Lamps.

Enlarge photo 62
62
Roof Structure
The roof is designed like the keel of a ship. The large supporting beams are of Norfolk pine, treated with whale oil. The design is a factor in the excellent acoustical qualities of the Chapel, often used as a venue for musical performances. The roof looks like a ship's hull.

Enlarge photo 63
63
Seating either side of the broad Aisle
The seats are carved and inlaid with Christian symbols in mother-of-pearl, done in spare time by missionaries and boys.

Enlarge photo 64
64
Stained Glass Window
The window, above the entrance, was given by the members of the Mission in memory of the workers who had given their lives in the islands. Beneath the Rose Window, with its many hues, is Philip the Deacon baptising the Ethiopian eunuch. The five stained glass panels commemorate the five workers martyred, one being Bishop Patteson, and two Norfolk Islanders

Enlarge photo 65
65
Melanesian Mission Memorial Garden
1866-1920.

Enlarge photo 66
66
Memorial Garden
The burial ground for workers and pupils of the Mission used to be a short walk to the north of the Chapel. By the 1970's the site became overgrown, access difficult, and the headstones badly damaged and trampled by cattle. In 1980 the headstones were re-located to a special Memorial Cemetery near the Vestry.

Enlarge photo 67
67
St Barnabas Chapel from Memorial Garden

Enlarge photo 68
68
Memorial Garden
Some of the Headstones are the work of Melanesian boys and the occasional reversed letters can be found on the stones.

Enlarge photo 69
69
St Barnabas Chapel and Bell Tower
Mission headquarters were moved to Honiara in the Solomons in 1919-20, at this time most of the timber buildings were dismantled. The Chapel was handed over to the Norfolk Islanders and is today still used by the Church of England as one of their places of worship.

Enlarge photo 70
70
Parish Hall

Enlarge photo 71
71
Moreton Bay Fig Tree
This huge exotic tree stands at the rear of the Memorial Gardens.

Enlarge photo 72
72
Strelitzia
St Barnabas Chapel gardens.

Enlarge photo 73
73
Strelitzia
St Barnabas Chapel gardens.

Enlarge photo 74
74
Strelitzia
St Barnabas Chapel gardens.

Enlarge photo 75
75
Returning to Burnt Pine township

Enlarge photo 76
76
Evening shadows end this island tour

 
   
 
Album Properties. Email Album. Send Invitation. Share URL